A deck is a great functional space where families get together for birthday parties and many other fun activities. It is a great place to relax and entertain. Since your wooden deck is exposed to the elements and a lot of foot traffic therefore it requires regular and proper maintenance to stay protected. Giving your wooden deck a few coats of deck stain is a great way to protect it from the different weather conditions that will come during the years. Deck stain penetrates into wood to form a seal against water, snow, ice and the freezing that happens through the seasons.
Here are some tips that will make staining deck easy for you and will make sure that you will get long lasting results.`
Tips for Staining Wooden Deck:
- Choose the Best Time- You should start the staining project of your wooden deck when temperatures are moderate, the humidity is low or average and when there are no chances of coming up of rain in next three to four days. Call O’Leary and Sons to schedule a staining appointment!
- Prepare your Deck for Staining- Undoubtedly, preparation is the key for final results. Follow these steps for preparing your deck for staining-
- Remove everything from the deck like plants, outdoor furniture, light fixtures etc. Cover those items which you cannot remove like plants, sideways etc. with the help of plastic sheet.
- Sweep the entire deck to remove leaves and other debris.
- Make any necessary repairs and inspect the deck for surface wear, cracked boards and popped nails.
- Clean the deck with the help of cleaner of your choice. You can use a roller to apply the cleaner. You should not allow the cleaner to dry. If your deck is large, apply the cleaner in small sections to make sure that the areas stay wet all time. Allow the cleaner to set for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, work the cleaner into the surface with the help of a rigid synthetic bristle brush. At last, use garden hose with a good stream to completely rinse the cleaner from the surface.
- Choose the Right Stain for Your Deck- There are four types of stains
- Clear Stain- This stain is nearly transparent and that is why it allows the most wood grain and texture to show through but it will provide you the least UV protection.
- Toner Stain- This stain gives a light color that highlights wood grain and it provides good durability.
- Semi- Transparent Stain– This stain is also able to provide a very good durability. It has a rich and pigmented color that allows the natural wood grain to show through.
- Solid Color Stain- This stain will provide you a very rich and vibrant opaque finish that completely hides the wood grains.
O’Leary and Sons are successful professionals who are knowledgeable about which products your deck will need. Call today to make your deck beautiful!