Fences can have a big impact on the way you feel about your home as usually they are the first thing you see when you get home and something you see every time when you enjoy your backyard. Fencing provides excellent privacy and defines your property line. However over time, harmful UV rays, rot-inducing moisture and other destructive elements can damage your fence. It is important to stain your fence every few years to protect it and keep it in excellent condition. Staining your fence can change the whole appearance of your fence. Here are some tips that will help you in staining your fence. O’Leary and Sons can help you in choosing Fence stains and wood fence colorado springs.
Tips for Staining a Fence
- Choose the Right Time- You should check the current weather and upcoming weather before starting your staining project. Make sure that the temperature is not colder than 50 degree F. Choose a day when it hasn’t rained for 24 hours and no further rain is in the forecast for the next 24 hours.
- Prepare your Fence for Staining- Preparation is the key while staining your fence. Here are some steps you should follow for preparing your fence for staining-
- Trim Grass near the Fence- Trim back grass, weeds, tress or bushes that are in contact with your fence. This will ensure a clean and complete finish.
- Clear the Area Near the Fence- Remove all the furniture and other things that are near your fence.
- Make any Necessary Repairs- Repair or replace any damaged parts of the fence and look for lose nails and repair them.
- Clean Your Fence- Over time, debris and dirt can build up on your fence which can damage your fence if left untreated. Clean your fence two days before you stain it. For cleaning your fence, you can use a solution of 1 part household bleach with 3 parts water. Scrub your fence with this solution and then rinse the fence with a garden hose to remove all traces of the solution.
- Choose Stain for Your Fence- Choosing a stain is the biggest decision you will have to make when staining your fence. You can choose from these three types of stains: transparent, semi-transparent and opaque.
- Prime Your Fence before Staining it- You should prime your fence before staining it. Primer protects the wood and provides the better surface for the stain to adhere to.
- Now it’s Time for Applying the Stain- O’Leary and Sons Inc is a quality company that ensures the best services. The contractors are always available to stain and repair your fence. Give them a call to schedule your fence staining!